Thursday, August 23, 2007

From Tania's Sketch Pad a Diagram of ideas for Inclusion in her 10ftx30ft mural


click on image to enlarge
Tania Godoroja at Sea Change:

To be at Sea Change is a gift that is immeasurable. I find myself on the

east coast instead of the west. This is a landscape with which I am unfamiliar—a perfect place to contemplate the uniqueness of Canada. Being here has made me shift my vision. Here, with every hour, the light changes, the temperature fluctuates. So, too, it is with the passing
parade of life in Provincetown. We witness incongruencies. We see drag queens and a few pilgrims. We see beauty that takes our breath away and cannot be captured by our digital cameras. All of these experiences stimulate us and provoke discussions long into the night.

I have had the luxury these past few days of long bouts of uninterrupted creative thinking, of working my way through a thousand ideas for the Canadian World Wall project, in the confines of the Sea Change cottage nestled at the tranquil west end in Provincetown. With the help of Judy and Tony, the focus of the project has been honed and clarified, and our
approach to the collaboration refined.

In thinking about Cape Cod’s four hundred years of recorded history, I have reflected upon my task of giving Canada’s land a voice. By comparison the European history of my west coast home is much shorter and scant on stories. First Nations peoples have maintained the history of this land for a much longer time, and their stories may provide insights
that can help us depict a future without fear.